Master Dale's Lifestyle Community Bulletin Board: Help, I Can't Get Rid Of This Crap - Master Dale's Lifestyle Community Bulletin Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help, I Can't Get Rid Of This Crap HugeSearch--pain in the.......

#1 User is offline   cait Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Proud slave to Master WanderingStarr. We live in Vancouver, BC.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:51 PM

I recently had a friend who had no idea how she got it on her computer, but she ended up with a site called HugeSearch that took over for her home page and default browser. Nothing she did got rid of it...it wasn't even listed in the programs to delete.
I was able to find instructions to remove it on this site, and while there noticed that they have instructions to remove a lot of stuff from your computer, including unwanted tool bars. Check them out if you need some help.

http://www.pchell.co...ugesearch.shtml
cait (WS_perfectangel)Posted Image

"The foolish crowd never quite understands...
The worth of a soul, and the change that is wrought
By the touch of Master's hand."? MyraWelch

#2 User is offline   scarlet Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Senior Member

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:51 PM

Thanks angel!!

I know i have a couple of those on my puter!

scarlet
"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything." -Katherine Hepburn

#3 User is offline   MasterDale Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for bringing this up, angel. I am active on a few bulletin boards and a Computer Help Mod on one of them. This topic comes up frequently.

Spyware is the latest "legal" scourge of the internet. It will rob you of resources and speed. It will rob you of your privacy. It might be legal, but is it ethical? Beware of those popup windows. They frequently will load up this toxic crap if you click "yes". Same thing if you use Kazaa or many other filesharing apps. By agreeing to the terms of use, you are also agreeing to load a few of these spyware apps, like Gator (Gain), into your system. I am not promoting file sharing, but if you do insist on doing it, get "Lite" versions of the filesharing apps that are in distribution, such as Kazaa Lite. These have been repackaged without the sypware.

If you think you do have spyware, there are various ways to remove it. The best for those who aren't too sophisticated on the computer is to go to http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ and download Ad-aware spyware removal tool. It is as good as anything out there, and it's automatic. There is a free version, too, though I am not sure exactly what is done to the full version to reduce it down to free. Even so, in this hazardous internet world, the paid version with updates is a solid investment.

If you are more sophisticated on the computer, you can get this free analyzer, HijackThis:

http://msn-cnet.com....4-10227352.html

You have to some careful reading and might need help interpreting the HijackThis log files, but it tells you a lot and allows you to manually remove anything suspicious.

If anyone needs additional help with spyware infections, you know where to find Me.

M Dale
Be careful of what you wish for....Posted Image ....you just might get it.

#4 User is offline   cait Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Proud slave to Master WanderingStarr. We live in Vancouver, BC.

Posted 27 January 2004 - 09:16 AM

thanks M Dale!
and speaking of pop up blockers, panicware has a good free one
They also have a paid version, but the free one is there if you search through their pages.

http://www.panicware.com

just be aware that if you are using this board and want private messages to show up when you log in, you will have to turn off any pop up blocker before signing in

angel

This post has been edited by WS_perfectangel: 27 January 2004 - 09:18 AM

cait (WS_perfectangel)Posted Image

"The foolish crowd never quite understands...
The worth of a soul, and the change that is wrought
By the touch of Master's hand."? MyraWelch

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users