Master Dale's Lifestyle Community Bulletin Board: Virus alert spam/scheme? - Master Dale's Lifestyle Community Bulletin Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Virus alert spam/scheme? from a PM here

#1 User is offline   lovely1 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

Hi everyone--I'll be checking out things in a minute, see how you're all doing.

But I just got a strange PM from "Lady_Admin" telling me you'd found a virus on my computer here (huh?) and I should click her link.

I didn't.

Thoughts?
"They all crossed into forbidden territory. They all tampered with the laws that lay down who should be loved, and how. And how much." --Arundhati Roy

#2 User is offline   _ree Icon

• Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:09 PM

i received the same alert

#3 User is offline   MasterDale Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

DONT CLICK THAT LINK

You all know how spammers live their lives to make everyone else's miserable? This is a particularly malicious spammer working here. I pay good money to keep the software here up to date because it literally is a war between us and them. Unfortunately, they took a step ahead this time.

There is NO admin here but me. And I am no lady. please just delete any messages from this spammer and dont open the link, whatever you do. I am sure it will not go well if you did that.

My appologies for the inconvenience. Please know that I am on this, and am in the queue with Invision Power Board tech support to see what upgrades or further blocks can be implemented to stop this from reoccurring.

regards,

Dale
Be careful of what you wish for....Posted Image ....you just might get it.

#4 User is offline   MasterDale Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

You may recall, I set up this Board so that no one but you can enter your PM box. Everything is encrypted...even to me. So I can not go in to anyone's PM box and clean out these spam notifications. You have to be vigilant and smart, folks. Just delete them. Do not click on links telling you that you have a virus....or you soon will.

The short fix for the spammers flooding our PM system is we have installed a flood gate. No one will be able to send more than 1 PM every 6 minutes. If you want to have a quick discussion with someone, maybe it would be smarter to move off-Board and talk in MSN, Yahoo, Skype, or whatever. I am sorry if that is an inconvenience. But the age of innocence is gone. I have to protect the site, our members, and keep ourselves in good standing with our hosting service.

Thanks for your understanding.

Dale

#5 User is offline   MasterDale Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:07 AM

bump

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users